Friday, January 25, 2008

A Handmade Pledge...

I LOVE making cards, but lately I just haven't had the time. I didn't even send out Christmas cards last year because the task just seemed too big compared to all the other things I had to do.  So, in the interest of time, I went to Hallmark and bought a few cards that had a "handmade" look. You've seen them, they have a pretty bow, perhaps some glitter...a little "something" that makes them LOOK handmade...even though they're not.  Now I have nothing against Hallmark, as a matter of fact, I LOVE Hallmark, but boy did I feel guilty buying these cards (even though they were very pretty!)! I figured, "Hey, I'm crafty! I should be (1) making these myself or (2) buying these from other crafty people. If I'm going to spend my hard-earned money, I'd rather give it to another craftsman than to the Hallmark store.   

So, this year I made a promise to myself to buy handmade whenever possible. I realize I may not always be able to do this, but like I said, I will whenever possible. I've been checking out the "stores" on Etsy, and am enamored with the creativity and ingenuity of some of the artists I have met there.  So I've included in today's post a link to the Valentine's Showcase on Etsy (which is updated daily), along with pics of a few of my faves...check these out when you have a moment.

ETSY VALENTINE'S DAY SHOWCASE - Friday 1/24/08
Il_fullxfull_17402432_2 


Pretty Neckwarmer

Fabrictussie_5


Fillable Fabric Cone with Roses

Tissueholders_2


Set of 3 Tissue Holders

Il_fullxfull_17543077_2


Photo Greeting Cards

Il_fullxfull_10030487_4


Heart Necklace









And look at this sweet collage from my friend Karin's Etsy Shop:

Karin_2 















Here are links to a few of my friends' Etsy shops:


Nicole - Small Treasures

Shannon - Paper Eclectiques

Ann - Digital Paperie

Candice - Polka Dot Parlor


Have fun shopping! xoxo